Stingray
Stingray, HVAC Professional
Experience:  Owner at Premier HVAC LLC
77190570

Moving my thermostat to a wall with no direct sunlight. I

Customer Question

Moving my thermostat to a wall with no direct sunlight. I turned off the breaker to the upstairs AC at the outside box located next to the outside unit. Is there another breaker or power source I need to turn off?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Stingray replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you get the information you need. I am not on site and rely solely on your information.what type of system do you have? a Split system or self contained? If you have an indoor furnace or airhandler then you have a split system and should disconnect the power to it as well, as this is where the Thermostat draws power.If it is all self contained the the outside power is all you need to worry about.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a split system. But I couldn't find the power to the upstairs airhandler. Might it be behind a panel on the unit?
Expert:  Stingray replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes there is a disconnect behind the blower door, but there is definitely a circuit breaker or multiple breakers in the main distribution panel. I would look there before i took doors off
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The downstairs air handler unit has an obvious circuit breaker switch but I cannot find the one for the upstairs unit. I'll keep looking.
Expert:  Stingray replied 1 year ago.
It is entirely possible that there is a secondary distribution panel upstairs or elsewhere in the house. but there definitely is a set of breakers dedicated for the Air handler. Good Luck, I have to go coach a baseball game, I will check on here when it is finished.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there way to test the thermostat wires directly to see if they are "off"?
Expert:  Stingray replied 1 year ago.
easiest would be to set the thermostat fan switch to on then turn the breakers off one by one until it shuts off. alternatively you can test R-C for 24VAC
Expert:  Stingray replied 1 year ago.
Just checking in, hadn't heard anything for a bit