Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

The thermostat is showing 75 degeees and it is set on 68. Can

Customer Question

The thermostat is showing 75 degeees and it is set on 68. Can you help?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Can you tell me when this problem began and how hot it is outside, and the approximate size of your house?Can you tell me the brand and model number of the unit that sits outside and about how old it is. We can go from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The brand is York, and the serial number is ***** This is new construction and we've been here for 5 weeks.
Square footage is 2050 and the temp is 95. We've had hotter days and the unit worked fine until today.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, so far it sounds like there is a refrigerant leak causing the problem.
Tell me please if the unit that sits outside is running or not, if it is running and not cooling it could be a refrigerant leak.
Next tell me if blower in the inside is running or not.
If it is running tell me if there is good air flow coming from the cold air vents.. if not, then the cooling coil may be iced up for a variety of reasons.
Next locate the largest copper tube attached to the outside unit (the one that is insulated, and tell me if it is cool, iced, or sweating.
--------
This is quite a set of complex instructions, be patient with your self, do them one at a time, until you have them all done, then tell me what you have discovered.
We can go from there
.......
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Phil!
The copper wire is not cold and it's not sweating either.
The unit is running outside but the inside blower isn't working.
Thanks for the encouragement!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I may have checked the wrong tubing outside. The largest one IS sweating.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Thanks!
I am off to bed shortly, if you can please tell me if air is coming out of the cold air vents or not, if not, then the cooling coil is iced over and blocking air flow... In that case turn the unit off for the night or it will get worse.
Then turn it on again early in the morning and tell me how much colder the air is coming out of the vents than the house temperature.
I will wait up for another half hour and will respond to what you find.
If I miss you tonight I will pick your response up first thing in the morning
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No air coming out of the vents.
I'll turn the unit off and talk to you tomorrow.
Lynn
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Good idea, see you in the morning.