Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Can i install radiant in floor heating and connect it to my

Customer Question

can i install radiant in floor heating and connect it to my geothermal furnace? will doing so unbalance the forced air side of my heating and cooling or overwork my electric heat assist in the winter?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
I need the brand and model number of the geothermal unit. Depending on what you have, and what I think you have, it will amount to an unnecessarily complex complication of the geothermal unit, without benefits worth the investment. If you can tell me what your goals are, I might be able to show you some other alternatives. We can go from there. If I miss you tonight I will follow up with you first thing in the morning. .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have a water furnace premier at. the pex in the floor is laid very close together so it wouldn't be a lot of effort to heat the space between the runs. i'm not so concerned about the investment amount to be honest, its more of a situation where we can't use gas as a fuel alternative for a boiler and the geothermal is already here. i have a manifold with 7 zone loops and my pipe is laid over by aprox 20 x 50 foot area.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Are you taking about heating the space on the floor between each pex tube in the floor? If so, its not necessary, that happens all by itself as long as there is hot water in the pex tubes (called conduction) If you want to use the water furnace to heat water to run through the pex tubes it can be done by diverting some of the hot gas that currently runs to the central heating coil to a heat exchanger with that hot gas on one side of the heat exchanger, and the water in pex tube manifold, and fitting a water pump to move the water through the pex tubes? Let me know if that sounds like what you have or not. If you can make a sketch of what you need, and take a picture of it, and post it here using the paper clip icon that will help immensely. If you miss me tonight I will be back first thing in the morning..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no no, i'm not talking between the tubes. i'm just saying that there is little space between the tubes (about 8 inch) throughout the entire floor.

This statement perplexes me a bit:

"If you want to use the water furnace to heat water to run through the pex tubes it can be done by diverting some of the hot gas that currently runs to the central heating coil to a heat exchanger with that hot gas on one side of the heat exchanger, and the water in pex tube manifold, and fitting a water pump to move the water through the pex tubes?"

are you saying that its gas or gaseous matter that flows through the heating coil (copper tubes with fins that looks like a radiator) and not straight water? My understanding of the system was that water comes from tubes in the ground and that water is brought to temp by the constant ambient temp deep underground and that if that water isn't warm enough to heat the house when the fan forces air through the "rad" that the water flows through its assisted by an electronic heating coil that the air passes through before it makes its way through the ducts.

it also looks like that the system can draw from a slave tank thats connected inline with the houses domestic hot water tank for additional assistance, however at this time and ever since i've been here, the in and out valves to the tank have always been closed, so its not using any of that. let me know if that helps you any or if my understanding is totally out to lunch.

thanks

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,

see the diagram at the link below
https://heatinghelp.com/assets/Uploads/water-to-air-heat-pump-diagram.jpg

The small red tube is the copper tube and aluminum fin coil that has refrigerant gas running through it, hot has in the winter, and cold gas in the summer... the medium sized blue line is the condensed refrigerant liquid... it is condensed in the ground source heat exchanger, the rejects heat to the ground in the summer, and absorbs heat from the ground in the winter. That is the round red and blue item in the diagram.

we would be cutting into the medium sized blue refrigerant liquid line and small red line at the top of the coil, and running those to the refrigerant side of a heat exchanger that would heat water in the heat exchanger, that water would be pumped through your floor radiant heat manifold.

http://screencast.com/t/PwlaRBWhQGs

Let me know if that helps or not.

We can go from there.

-----------

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge.

.