Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a gam 5 Hyperion air handler vertical install clear

Customer Question

I have a gam 5 Hyperion air handler vertical install clear drain line, clear drain pan pressures good subcool 9.9 dumping water in the return plenum any clues?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Is this the air handler layout you have?http://screencast.com/t/TzIn1ETi If so, the unit is not level or the A coil inside is not level or sloped slightly toward the condensate drain, or the condensate drain (white plastic) is clogged or blocked.Or it is an older unit. with a lot of dirt and some hair built up on the face of the coil, that collecting condensate and routing it away from the drain pan. You need to remove the panel that fits between the white plastic pipe and insulated refrigerant line 24" or so above it. then a panel on the 'A' coil itself to inspect that area. ----------We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let m eknow. You can continue asking follow-up questions within your agreed on limit at no additional charge..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
your answer is wrong do I still have to pay the full price? as I said I inspected the drain line and everything else I am an HVAC technician this problem had me stumped I've just left the property, it turns out the electronic thermal expansion valve is malfunctioning and only have the coil is getting refrigerant and the other half is not therefore causing the blower to blow condensation all over the air handler
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the coil is spotlessly clean two very new system,
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, trouble shooting is a process, that I personally do not put any limits on, you have a final answer when and only when you have a final, acceptable answer, that solves the problem.
Generally speaking, from thousands of miles away, and blind to what you actually have, those are my initial remarks, initial remarks are very seldom 100% all inclusive.
There is no telling all of the aspects of the problem... my answer so far does cover the *most likely suspects*, after 51 years in this business and thousands of projects.
-----------------
Since yours is very new system that rules out clogged up coil, but does not rule out a stray hair or insulation coming loose inside the coil cabinet (maybe a 10% *chance of that, it is somewhat common.)
It is more likely the coil pan is plastic and has a crack in it, or that the condensate line is not level... there many other options, the coil needs to be inspected to which is the case.
Even then it can be a problem, an occasional drip can be hard to find. It is not always obvious.
Beyond that, unfortunately, if you do access the inside of the coil, air flow conditions will be different and affect the leak
I have solutions for all that, but it IS a step by step process.
.