Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I want to put vinegar in my a/c unit so it doesn't clog but

Customer Question

I want to put vinegar in my a/c unit so it doesn't clog but I don't know where to pour it
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Tell me in detail what the brand and model number of your unit is, and if it is a central AC system, window unit, or free standing unit the blows hot air out the window. We can go from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Central air, trane 2tec3f42b1000aa
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again.

That model number is ***** an electric furnace, it may very well have a cooling coil attached at the top.. and that drain line might become clogged and its drain pan need cleaning from time to time.

However this would be the first time in my 51 year career that I have seen or heard of vinegar being used for the condensate drain (it is used in entirely different situations, for instance to clean the heat exchangers in hot boilers and some types of hot water heaters.

If you can attach a few photo's taken at different angles of the area in question, and one from 10 feet away so I get perspective on the installation, I will be able to coach you more effectively.

Use the paper clip icon in the tool bar above to do that.

We can go from there.

.