airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

My heater fires minute or two then turns off

Customer Question

my heater fires for a minute or two then turns off as its firing it sounds like igniter is still working i can hear clicking i replaced board , igniter, flow switch high limit it does give me a lo reading but there is good water flow
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.
If the spark electrode is still clicking you likely have a dirty flame sensor rod. You should clean off the flame sensor rod with some sand paper or an emery cloth. Try that and see what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i replaced the igniter isnt the flame sensor all in one or is there a sepperate rod im missing
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.
You should have a separate flame sensor rod, check this link out here it is.
http://www.sunplay.com/hayward-flame-sensor-idxlfls1930?gclid=CJ3R0uSAncYCFQipaQode5cC0Q
All I ask is please rate my service thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that part does not exist on a h250ed2 heater thats on athe h-series low nox heater
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.
Does the flame encompass the rod on the electrode?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
First step is to verify if the heater is giving us a fault code. If so what is the code?If ignition failure code, start by making sure gas is on and we have proper pressure to the valve. Next,make sure the connections are clean and secure to the gas valve and at control board.Unplug harness on board and verify all pins are seated in molex connector and making contact when plugged in.Next when ignitor sparks, check for 24v across the terminals on the as valve.If we are getting 24v and gas pressure is good, we have a faulty valve.If no 24v at gas valve, replace the control module.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
found the problem took off the top there was a bunch of rust build up cleaned it up and works ok wasnt getting enough air thanks anyway
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
No problem .If you would like a refund,I can request for you. Leaving a poor rating will not get a refund so let me know .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i totally understand i would not leave a bad rating it was a goofy thing i talked to many people who could not figure it out it was only in my frustration that led me to taking it all apart to notice the rust on the heat exchanger that blocked it up so thank you and a refund would be a welcome thing have a great day and thanks again