airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

We had new Heil/ICP 14 seer straight cool split system installed

Customer Question

We had new Heil/ICP 14 seer straight cool split system installed .....it Never stops running- Even all night! 440 sq. foot park model mobile home. I have hotel grade insulated drapes & sunscreen on all windows! Our old unit worked perfectly. The fan fell off so decided to replace the unit.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
hello,
can you do a small task for me? It involves checking the room temp....and then the temp from register while ac running.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They have moved the thermostat all over & replaced it 3 times! Set at 76, thermostat temp never falls below 79. Temp at floor register is 74.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
A properly running system puts out air that is at least 15 degrees cooler than room temp.
So if 79 in room the temp from register should be at least 64 degrees or cooler. Many new systems are 20 degrees cooler.
So, you probably already knew but your system is not running right.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
can you tell me the model number of the unit installed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PAJ424060KTPOA and one more line. We will pay the $18.00 for husband to talk to you.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
This is a one piece unit ducted into home, and I assume the duct is the same as with previous.
This unit should easily put out 60 degree air when room is 79.
Can you tell me what the contractor has done to fix this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Re-installed the unit because cold air blowing under home. Replaced thermostat 3 times. Moved the thermostat all over the room. We paid $5200.00 for unit & installation.........no new ductwork. We are senior citizens!
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
wow, thats a lot of trouble for that kind of money.
Have you requested the rep for Heil come to your site and check the unit?
You can easily show them the room temp and register temp. When attempts fail with the dealer you have every right to request the Heil Rep to come and evaluate unit.
I would highly suggest this..The unit is large enough...actually bigger than you should need.....I would request the rep and soon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
20 degree differential from output to intake according to them. Pretty accurate we think. 25 yr old unit would cycle even @ 72 degrees. This new one, set @ 76 degrees will not cycle even when temp or setting reads the same.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
So you DO have a 20 degree difference between room and register when running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Temp is set to 76 55 coming out of LR duct thermostat reading 80 after 21/2 hrs. Has not dropped 1 degree.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Stat has been moved all around the house.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is fiberglass lined ducting healthy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are so grateful for your input. Our electric bill last month with old unit was $127.00.........and that was high because fan fell off. We are going to get a meter reading for charge this month, with new unit. We had storms yesterday so outside temp dropped. Unit set at outside temp & never stopped running.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.If you have a 19 to 20 degree difference between air going in and air coming out, the home should be cooling down unless we are drawing in some outdoor air from somehwhere.It is very possible the return air duct may have come loose or have an opening drawing in hot outside air.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The installers claim all is fine with duct connections. Initial installation had cold air blowing under the home & taped wiring connections laying on the dirt! We NEVER hire unlicensed contractors! They had to spend 2 days , redoing the installation!
Should we call the county building inspector to look at this
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Yes, if you are not getting your home cooled after spending 5200 dollars .There is no reason for you not to be cool if system is installed and is performing properly.Something is not correct.
If inspector does not see the issue upon examination of the install,I would contact the state heating and air conditioning board in your state. They will get you some results.All hvac contractors are governed by the board and required to perform to state regulations which includes making sure your system is properly installed and working.It is the contractors duty to make sure system is properly sized, installed correctly and performing properly.
If you can tell me what state you are in I can get you the contact information for state board.