BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

I am replacing a central heater in my attic with a Goodman

Customer Question

I am replacing a central heater in my attic with a Goodman Model GMVC960804CN.
The received instructions indicate and show how to locate and attach inlet air and outlet venting when the heater is a installed in a home living area.
My question is do I need to provide a new inlet pipe that comes from the outside of the home to supply directly to the new units inlet air opening.
My attic space has already outside air thru normal vents in the side of the home walls that provides air to the attic.
Also I already have a vertical vent that goes upwards to the outside of the roof. This vent will be attached to the exit vent from the new unit
Of course I already have CO monitors and smoke detectors already installed in the home so they will give me a true indication if something is not working properly
when I finish the install and test the unit for proper heating operation.
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do not charge me for the answer service. I can get through the password ***** enter the process.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
If you have open transfer air..ie - the attic is vented...then you do not need to run an intake air pipe.
That is of course on the condition that attic is vented.