airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I run unit with a cover on it this spring and overheated.

Customer Question

I run unit with a cover on it this spring and overheated. Fan runs but does not cool.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.Troubleshooting often requires meters and test equipment.Do you have a multi meter for testing voltage? If not you can get an inexpensive one at Walmart for about 15 bucks, if you have or would like to obtain a meter to troubleshoot , I will be happy to guide you.Without a meter , there are a limited number of things we can check if you are able to do a visual inspection and can do some hands on troubleshooting.Please let me know and we can go from here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will a radio shack pocket digital multimeter firthe purpose? it has a 400V max
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
should be fine.Our first step is to check for 230v into contactors, 24v to contactor coil and 230v out of contactors.See link below:
http://i.imgur.com/3Ejsatf.png
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Voltage on bottom 240 top 110.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
OK do we have 24v between coil on side of contactor? Make sure thermostat is calling for ac. If 230 in and 24v to coil but only 120v out, contactors are bad.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you point out to me the 24v contacts as the unit with the leads on that I have attached to ac unit is different from the picture you provided to me. There are two leads on the side one brown the other blue.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
http://i.imgur.com/YWnBIP5.png
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Using the voltage guide you provided I have the correct power to each point as you labelled. The fan is running the unit is simply blowing ambient versus cooled air through the ducts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have thoughts on the problem? given the power supply to unit is correct as you labelled?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
If we have power out of contactors but compressor is not running, remove the little plastic cover on compressor where wires connect and lets see if maybe a wire is burned off of compressor.