Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I am currently in battle with my warranty company. They say

Customer Question

I am currently in battle with my warranty company. They say I have a 5.5 ton system, rated commercial by Las Vegas. I looked on outside. It's a freus system 3ton+2ton. I showed them that. They said one of my compressors is a 2.5 ton (freus standard for 3 ton units with efficiency) + 3 ton condenser equals 5.5 Tons. Is that even accurate, because my understanding is you don't add them.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to 30 minites help.

Up to 48 hours trouble shooting and coaching on repairs $38 additional if you approve it at that time.

Tell me the size of your house and nearest city, and if only one unit sits outside the house, and only one unit (the air handler/ furnace) is inside the house...if that is the case you most likely have a 3 ton rated condensing unit and a 2 ton rated cooling coil. That would be a 3 ton system. answer the above questions so that I can confirm that.
If you can take a few pictures of the unit that sits outside from several different angles and a close up of its name plate, that will help.
Use the 'attach files' link at the bottom left of your reply box to do that.
-----------
The bigger picture.
It is the BTU per hour rating on the entire condensing unit, NOT just the compressor that is used in determining the tonnage. 12,000 btu/hr equals one ton. That is the one and only legal way to rate a system, it is the industry standard.
A compressor with a 2.5 ton rating is not relevant, it performs at different levels depending on the refrigerant used when making the condensing unit.
-------------
It can get infinitely more complex than that related to a units actual output..none of it is relevant in either the systems applications engineering or any building code nor any building code enforcement department... It is the btu rating of the condensing unit that determines its capacity.
-------------
The building inspectors have unlimited power however, be very nice to the lady, although it is quite unlikely she can show you any section of the building code that spells it out as she says it does. I have no idea where how she got it in her head that the condensing unit manufacturers legally required BTU rating, stamped on the units name plate doesn't count.
-----------
Read this insider information. We can discuss it.
http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?85732-Freus-Air-Conditioner/page3