BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

Bought a Gree "through the wall PTAC Unit bedroom only&quo

Customer Question

Bought a Gree "through the wall PTAC Unit for my bedroom only" Was told this was made by Carrier! The model # ***** : GAE12AB-D. PURCHASE DATE 06 - 11 - 2012 .
Since the installation, the water pan has overflowed 3 times, and soaked carpeting & damaged ceiling to Apt below me.
Have had the HVAC man "fix it" 3 times and cost is always $125-.
I was under the assumption the water was to evaporate .I live in Memphis ,TN & the average daily Temp is 91 degrees. So obviously the way out for the water to evaporate is installed incorrectly.
Any suggestions what I can do?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  mranswer replied 1 year ago.
The water must drain by gravity to the outside coil area, so I can only assume here that the casing of the unit is not tilted back enough as it should be and that is why it floods. I doubt there is anything wrong with the unit itself- the installation is the issue.
There should be at least 1/4 to 1/2 inch drop from front to back.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
I apologize but the previous answer is incorrect.
This unit has a temp activated valve that only drains when cold out (below 59)
Above that temp a slinger picks up the water and evaporates it. It sounds like your slinger is broken.
see page 23 at below link
http://resource.gemaire.com/is/content/Watscocom/Gemaire/article_1391689641786_en_ii.pdf?fmt=pdf