BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

I am having issues with my thermstat kicking my AC on. I live

Customer Question

I am having issues with my thermstat kicking my AC on. I live in a trailer house that only has TWO wires to the thermostat. The unit has a switch for heat off cool as well as a fan switch that says on off and I think something else... I talked to my AC guy today about why my AC was running all of the time. He said, because it is only two wires...I cannot put the thermostat to COOL. He said I had to leave it on HEAT. ???? any ideas????
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
does the ac turn off when you put the switch at furnace to off or heat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no. not at all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh wait. YES, it turns OFF. I cannot get it to come on to cool.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
so you turn switch at furnace to cool...set thermostat down to temp...does unit run?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no. I have to flip the lower switch to the fan to ON...then it will run. It is not cooling any more tho.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
ok,
is this a Coleman unit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure. I bought this trailer used. I cannot find a name on it anywhere.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
your unit is an older version where the switch is on the furnace and you have to set seasonally for what you want. When in heat the thermostat is a heat thermostat...when in cool it is a cool thermostat.
The fan is supposed to kick on automatically in heat or cool without having the fan switch set to on.
In your case the relay or switching in the furnace is defective.
All that switching happens there..not in the thermostat.
You will likely need to have the switching relay replaced in the furnace....or upgrade to a 4 wire system...which in the trailers is not always easy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh. ok thank you.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
you are welcome and I wish you luck...just rate service and I will move from active list