Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

I have a goodman gems80903BNA. My problem is that the thermostat

Customer Question

I have a goodman gems80903BNA. My problem is that the thermostat says it has no power. The thermostat is a nest thermostat. The circuit board flashes six times. This problem happened a couple weeks ago so I replaced the circuit board and it started to work again two weeks later the same issue.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.
If you are getting a six flash code, this refers to an open flame rollout switch. The rollout switches are small disc shaped devices on either end of the burner area. These have a small reset button in the center which can be pushed in. Have you tried that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I tried to press both.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
And you are still getting the six flash code?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. The blower fan turns on and runs. The light will blink 6 times stop and blink 6 times and repeats that.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
If you pushed in the center reset button on both of these flame rollout switches, then one or more of these may be bad and need replacement. You're sure you are pushing in the right discs? These would be the ones on either end of the burner with a small button in the center.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I sure I am pressing. I will replace both and let you know if that fixes it.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Or a simpler method to test, fashion a wire with a spade connector on both ends and just pull the leads off and by pass one at a time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I Replaced both rollout switches and it did not fix the problem.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
There could also be bad wiring between these switches and the board. That would also cause the same code.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So how can I determine that?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
If you have an ohmmeter, set it to test ohms and test from the one side it goes into the board to the other. Should be "0" ohms.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure where you want me to measure the ohms at?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Take the molex connector off the board and measure from where the wire goes to the flame rollout to the other wire that returns to the board from the flame rollout.