airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have a rental property in southern indiana that is being

Customer Question

I have a rental property in southern indiana that is being managed by a property manager and I have been having leak issues with my Carrier unit that is approaching 13 years old. I replaced the evaporator coil in the last two years for $1,500 now the condenser needs to be replaced two estimates $1,574 and $2,421. The leak is racking up avg of $400.00 per call which there has been 3 in the last 2 years. Does it make sense to replace the condenser or should I consider the evaporator coil replacement cost a lost and replace the whole thing (no furnace issues yet). I'm not being advised to replace the whole unit but it appears I am going to still be open to big costs ongoing with no real warranty coverage. I was thinking replacement with a standard efficiency unit to get by until I can sell in 5 years or so. Whats your take on the situation? I'm I being ripped on repair work?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.If the evaporator can be converted to or is already using the new R410A refrigerant, I would just replace outdoor unit. If evaporator is a dedicated R22 coil, I would bite the bullet , count your losses and replace both coil and outdoor unit with the new R410A equipment. Otherwise you are asking for more expenses down the road.I do not see need to replace furnace.