Drcool
Drcool, HVAC Technician
Experience:  i have been an A/C tech for the past 12 Years. working on window types, split type, and package
11923974

I'm trying to install an ecobee smart si thermostat

Customer Question

Hi I'm trying to install an ecobee smart si thermostat
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand what I need to do, get power to the thermostat, I'm just not sure how the CRYWG system translates to my hvacs RGTCCW
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Video Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Drcool replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay, thank you for asking. The "C"on the thermostat stands for the common connection. This would be the 0 volts from the low voltage transformer output of 24 volts ac.
Do you happen to have the electrical schematics of the indoor unit? If you do, can you post it here please.
Are you just changing thermostat? If you do, look for an extra wire from the bundle that used to be connected to the old thermostat. I have not seen a black wire yet and maybe it is just looped around the bundle. You can use this to connect the C. But we still need to find out where to connect it to the indoor unit.
I am not sure but I would say the brown wires labeled C on the PC board...
If you have a volt meter, I can show you how to test if there is voltage present on the red and brown wires.
You do not need to swap the G since you would still use the G on the thermostat.
Thank you for using this service.
Francis
Expert:  Drcool replied 1 year ago.
Found an installation manual for your unit.
http://icpindexing.toddsit.com/documents/086477/49601540001.pdf
On page 11 are different wiring connection depending on your unit and thermostat.
C of thermostat was used on fig 12, 13 and 14.
Then on page 12, fig 15, the brown wire from the secondary of the transformer is the "C" of the thermostat.
If the black wire is available on the bundle, you can use that to connect the "C" of the thermostat and the brown of the transformer.
Thanks,
Francis