Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a Lennox 3 phase HVAC system which has a single phase

Customer Question

I have a Lennox 3 phase HVAC system which has a single phase evaporator fan. The evaporator fan motor is a general electrice and has terminals 1,2,&3 . seemingyl, The lead coming from the start capacitor goes on terminal two or at least that seems to result in a full speed on the fan motor however I am not convinced the motor is rotating in the correct direction as air seems to be pulled in from the top. Connected in the manner described causes the compressor to run continously but doesn't seem to provide much cooling whereas other connections seems to cauys ethe fan motor to run at about half speed and the compressor trips on HP shortly thereafter.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.
What is the full model number of this unit? Was condenser fan motor changed or any wiring changes done to the unit?
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 2 years ago.
Russ here. Welcome. I am here to help. Please do not rate until you are satisfied with answer. Always available for follow up questions. Replace capacitor and see if the motor turns the right way. Shorted capacitor will cause motor to turn wrong way. Russ
Expert:  Tim H. replied 2 years ago.
Russ, did you see I was working on this question?