Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I had someone try to "help" on a rental by replacing the fan li

Customer Question

Hello. I had someone try to "help" on a rental by replacing the fan limit and relay center on an old furnace (luxaire) and now the fan doesn't turn on automatically and they took no pictures of the working setup. I have the following honeywell parts. R8285D5001 and L4064B. I installed the thermostat and wire, AC does turn on everything but the fan.
What I would really like to know is where the black and yellow wires from the backside of the relay go, where the fan limit wiring goes and how the 110 service goes.
Thank you very much in advance.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.
Could you possibly check on the unit and see if there is a wiring diagram and if so, take a picture of it and upload to the site here? Then I can attempt to help on this question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The diagram is partially damaged, but here are some pictures

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Could you take a more straight on picture of the wiring diagram so I can study it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I cannot, the exhaust is a few inches away. If you could please just tell me how those 2 honeywell components would be hooked up, most notably the black and yellow wires on the relay that would most likely solve my issue. My thinking is that the black goes to the 110v hot and fan/limit hot, the Yellow goes to the fan control and motor but do no want to test live on the transformer.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
All right, I'll see what I can do with the information I have been given.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I figured it out. Thanks for trying.