airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I installed new heil 2ton heat pump 410a. flushed lines and

Customer Question

I installed new heil 2ton heat pump 410a. flushed lines and installed new liquid line drier. neat day owner called said unit was cutting on and off. figured it was txv so i installed new one. 2 days later called back doing same thing. went back changed drier, 3 days later called back doing the same thing. i'm stuck.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.When you arrive are pressures normal and can you get it to cut off while you are there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
High liquid line pressure. Unit cutting on and off when I arrive
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Is suction pressure low also and is outdoor fan operating?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Suction line normal high side pressure gets in the 500 psi area
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Outdoor fan runs when unit runs
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Did you add any refrigerant at time of install?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Charged unit by sub cooling
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
My first suspicion is over charge.If the txv were an issue I would think the suction would also be low as refrigerant could not get back.R410 since it leaves the tank liquid goes in much faster than the old R22 and I myself had overcharged a couple because of this.2 to 3 lbs can go in before you know it. I would recover the refrigerant and see if maybe overcharged.May be able to pull out a lb or so and see if the suction changes drastically or not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When you charge using sub cooling unit shouldn't be over charged.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Factory sub cooling is 13
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Was this a new complete system or swap out? If swapping out a system and ductwork not properly sized causing improper air flow, trying to get the superheat and sub cooling right can often lead to improper charge.The charts are based on system operating with designed air flow and equalized system.If this is the case, the sub cooling and superheat will also change.Are they still showing correct at this point?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Suction side 137 liquid 339 sub cooling 14
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Hmm. Sounds like at the moment, all is good.As long as fan is not stopping,not sure what can be changing on you.I will opt out and see if other experts may have suggestions.Good luck with this.I will follow the post to see what you find.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
THanks for letting me work with you.I have opted out of the question to see if perhaps other experts may have more information and can assist.Please do not rate or reply as that will send question back to my desk.Please stand by to see if another expert can assist further.