Jason Whatley
Jason Whatley, HVAC Technician
Experience:  HVAC/R Supervisor at DOJ
83376504

I have a split General air con - model number ASG19ABNEW. The

Customer Question

Hi
I have a split General air con - model number ASG19ABNEW.
The problem is when I switch the aircon on, after 7 mins it cuts off at the mains and I need to set the mains fuse switch on again. WHat is the likely cause of this issue? do I need to replace the air con or can it be fixed? if so, is it an aircon or electrical fault.
This actually happened after there was a mains power failure.
Thanks
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Jason Whatley replied 1 year ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I'm here to help you out! We need to check all electrical connections at the main connections all the way to the unit. Ensure all terminals are tight and wire insulation is good. If all checks out fine, we need to start checking amp draw readings of the motors and compressor. This can be done with a clamp on amp meter. If it is not immediately tripping the main, then it is most likely not a dead short, but a motor or compressor slowly rising in amp draw until it exceeds the main current protection.