Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My trane thermostat just had its batteries replaced and now is not working with the AC uni

Customer Question

My trane thermostat just had its batteries replaced and now is not working with the AC unit. First the thermostat said waiting, then when that went away we got cold air for about 5 minutes. Since then (a few hours) there has been no response to hit or cold settings.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 1 year ago.
Russ here. Welcome. I am here to help. Please do not rate until you are satisfied with answer. Always available for follow up questions. Waiting is a five minute delay on thermostat. Does the inside fan work. Id so check to see if you have a float switch in the drain line near unit that might be tripped. If it is not tripped go to outside unit and feel fan on top to see if it is hot. Russ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Russ and thank you for the reply. The inside fan did indeed work for about 5 minutes after the Wait message went away. I do not believe that there is a float switch on my unit because I have searched before. The kind I am looking for would be connected to the white piping unless there is another version I should look for. If the outside fan you mean is on top of the condenser unit, then no, it did not feel warm but has not been on for several hours. What else should I check?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Russ, I'm not sure what the turn around time is supposed to be, but it is past 1:30am here and I can't stay up anymore.
Sorry had power outage here for 3 hours. Need model number of unit please. If you can remove front cover. You will see terminals R Y G O W Take a small wire and jumper between R and G to see if fan comes on and runs. Checking thermostat operation now. Russ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know it is a Trane XV80 but I now have left for work and can't work on the unit.
Please get back with me when you can.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning Russ. After the internet connection problem we had an in-person technician come out and fix everything yesterday afternoon.
Great you are back online. What was Problem? Russ