airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I'm trying to install a new wifi thermostat - I have extra

Customer Question

I'm trying to install a new wifi thermostat - I have extra wires and don't know how to alternately wire the new thermostat
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.Can you tell me what type system you ahve and where each wire went o old thermostat?Picture of old wiring at thermostat would help greatly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey there, sorry I went to bed after submitting my question.I attached pictures of the current wiring, the Honeywell wall plate and the diagram on my furnace air handler.I did connect the wifi thermostat and leave the black wire labeled E/W1 free, the thermostat itself seemed fine but it would never "fire" the ac unit.I currently have the original thermostat connected and working.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
On new thermostat wire as follows:
Red to R(Leave the blue factory jumper from R to Rc)
Orange to W-O/B
Blue to C
Yellow to Y
Black and White both to W2-AUX-E
Green to G
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to do anything special for the dual connection or just put both wires in the slot you instructed?Thank you for your help, incredible how poor the information available is.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Take a look at the air handler and tell me if both white and black connect to same wires from air handler.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't seem to get the panel off - what's at risk if I attach both to the receptacle and turn power back on to test?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
They should both go to heating elements.One brings on elements in emergency mode and the other brings elements on in auxiliary mode.
After wiring , you also need to match the thermostat to your system.Let me know if you need help doing so.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good news, I have the thermostat connected - the ac is working, everything is good with wifi stuff.I believe I have the matching done right.I selected forced air/electric with one cooling stage.Does that sound right?You seem pretty knowledgeable, where are you located?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Should be HEATPUMP rather than forced air.
I am in Grand Bay Alabama.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I will adjust.I am in Charlotte, NC - I own a restaurant and the original owners didn't do me any favors with the HVAC setup, it was worth a shot you were nearby, haha.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Would certainly be available if closer.I am an active HVAC contractor and have been since 1989.I started doing hvac in 1974.
Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings now. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.