airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

No ac the unit is running,but the fan outside of the house

Customer Question

no ac the unit is running,but the fan outside of the house is not. all breakers are on. there is no air flowing out of the vents.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.Troubleshooting often requires meters and test equipment.Do you have a multi meter for testing voltage? If not you can get an inexpensive one at Walmart for about 15 bucks, if you have or would like to obtain a meter to troubleshoot , I will be happy to guide you.Without a meter , there are a limited number of things we can check if you are able to do a visual inspection and can do some hands on troubleshooting.Please let me know and we can go from here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I don,t have a meter
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Do you know what the contactors look like in the outdoor unit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
maybe are they like relays
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
They will look similar to phot below. Take an insulated screwdriver and push in on the plunger in center and see if outdoor comes on.
http://i.imgur.com/IDWvQJW.png
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the outside box does not look like the picture. It has a copper circuit breaker. I took it out ,then replaced it.the unit hums. the fan does not come on.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
OPen the panel on the outdoor unit.Take a pic and upload it here. These contactors will be INSIDE of the unit.
If you have a paper clip icon on your page you can attach using that link.Or
You can upload the pictures using the tiny pic site .
Here is a link to the site.
http://tinypic.com/
Click on Browse , select the file from your folder.then click UPLOAD NOW.
They will give you a quote to enter in the box to verify you are a human.Enter the quote and click UPLOAD NOW
You will see your picture on right side of screen.
Then copy the link URL for email & IM
Paste that link here on the site.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
I am going to have to leave for a bit, so I will open this to other experts while I am gone so you do not have to wait. I will check in when I get back to office to see if you got your problem soved.I have opted out of the question to see if perhaps other experts may have more information and can assist.Please do not rate or reply as that will send question back to my desk.Please stand by to see if another expert can assist further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I opened the cover on the unit with the fan,I pressed in the middle with a insulated screwdriver. nothing happened ,the fan is not running. theunit hums.