airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have a white-Rodgers if89-211 thermostat . It stopped giving

Customer Question

I have a white-Rodgers if89-211 thermostat . It stopped giving out ac.
My wife and daughter periodically change the settings which may have caused this problem. There are only buttons for up down temperature settings, a switch for off, heat, cool, and emer., and a fan switch for on and auto.
How do reset this model to work at 70 degrees?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.If you have the system switch set to cool and press the down arrow until it reads cooler than room temp. ac should come on.Let me know what is happening.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should the fan be set to on or auto
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
auto
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done as you instructed room temp is 79, setting is 72, but still no air. Fan is on auto, unit is set to cool.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Does indoor fan come on? If you do turn to fan ON will blower come on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a little symbol ( like a snowflake) showing under the 72 numberTurned blower to on but don't feel it working
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Ok if snowflake is showing, that indicates call for cool so thermostat is probably ok.Do you have a volt meter for troublehooting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Lets look in furnace and see if maybe there is a small auto type fuse on control board that may be blown.
See links below:
http://i.imgur.com/kYe4Epz.png
http://i.imgur.com/90juVsc.png
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Inside we just have 2 fuse boxes that we just turned fo
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Can you give me model on the indoor unit ?or if it is a self contained packaged unit outside give me model on it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's an outdoor model, will go outside and check for number
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Standing by
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's model jt5bd- 024k nordyne
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
OK that model number is ***** a condensing unit.This means you have a split system (Indoor and outdoor). There has to be an electric air handler or furnace in a close, attic or basement. That is the unit where we want to check for a small fuse inside.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about the box that is outside near the Gibson unit that ha/ an on off switch?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
No we are looking for an indoor unit.Should be able to find it close to where your filter is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry we don't see any fuses inside , we just have 2 fuse boxes, and the outdoor unit........our upstairs is air conditioned, but our lower level is not.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
I am going to have to leave for a bit, so I will open this to other experts while I am gone so you do not have to wait. I will check in when I get back to office to see if you got your problem soved.I have opted out of the question to see if perhaps other experts may have more information and can assist.Please do not rate or reply as that will send question back to my desk.Please stand by to see if another expert can assist further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok no prob thanks!