Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Hope you can help york heat pump ac side. Thermostat froze.

Customer Question

Hope you can help york heat pump ac side. Thermostat froze. Could not change settings. Unit would not come on. Tapped on board got unit to come on. Fan would not run. Spun fan and got to run. Still could not change temp with therm. Pulled it of wall( disconnect). Unit shutdown. Replace therm - now no display. Once again tapped board, unit came on - no fan. Spun fan and fan came on.
Now 1 replaced board Nothing with thermostat
2 replaced thermostat. Got display, set it up properly. Unit comes on , therm controls temp but still have fan issue
3 changed starter cap ( proper mfd's). Still have to start fan mannually
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to 2 hours help.

Up to 48 hours trouble shooting and coaching on repairs $38 additional if you approve it at that time.

Tell me how old the fan motor is please, and if you can detect *any up and down play on the motor shaft at all.
We can go from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure of age 10+. No play up/ down
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, those blower motors have about a 10 year life span, 15 years is quite rare, some fail at 7 or 8 years.
They develop electrical 'flat spots'.. if you push them past the flat spot they will start and run ok...I suspect that is the case here with the motor at least.
.............
The thermostat display issue is not related, at least not that I have seen in my 51 years working with these... it is quite unusual to see two separate failures occur at same time.
If you can buy a snap around type amp meter we can do a few checks and most likely get to the bottom of the problem.
$25 at Harbor freight, $50 home depot or Lowes.
Let me know, we can go from there in any fashion you choose.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Getting into a lot of trial/ error now
Thanks
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, in order to get away from trial and error we need to use instruments, the amp meter can be clamped around the common wire on the motor to determine if there is a flat spot or not.
and the volt / ohms functions can be used to determine if there is voltage to the motor or not.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm done with your service this is not working thank you