Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Well, i wasnt expecting this, hahaha the thermostat is set

Customer Question

well, i wasnt expecting this, hahaha the thermostat is set to cool 65 degrees, but its 83 in the house. no fans are blowing and the unit outside isnt doing anything
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.
Have you checked the circuit breaker for outside unit? How about the fuses in the outside disconnect?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, I went ahead and reset the circuit breaker for the entire house to no avail. I don't know what you mean by "the fuses in the outside disconnect."
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I apologize, you must bear with my lack of knowledge of general household stuff
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
On the outside of your house, near your air conditioner, there is an electrical box that serves your unit. Inside many of these "disconnects" are fuses. These could very well be blown.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so I checked both the inside and outside breakers per your suggestion, they didn't appear flipped but I reset them all anyways. That didn't work. Also, I replaced the thermostat, and still no go. What is the next step my good sir!
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
In the outside disconnect, sometimes behind a plastic panel, are fuses. Can you check and see if your outside "disconnect" has fuses?