Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

Hunter thermostat model 44110 is blinking 2.. yes, I get that

Customer Question

Hunter thermostat model 44110 is blinking 2.. yes, I get that if you hold the up and down for three seconds, you get the option to change the span of how it runs,1 less often, 2 ideal, 3 for more often... this was working yesturday, and I have changed the filter and reset the filter
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.
What exactly is flashing? Could you be more specific?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So the number 2 appears for half a second, and then dissappear for half a second. This process repeats itself, and is what I am calling "flashing." Maybe 'blinking' is a better term?

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
"2" as part of the temperature displayed? Or are you in a setup menu?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

"2" from the SPAN display... right above the "cool" on the display. If you hold the up and down together for three seconds, it gives you the option to adjust between 1 and 3, 2 being the ideal. I can change it to 1, 2 or 3, they still blink, and AC won't come on (there is Def power going to the blower, and the AC unit.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Lets try this: take the front part of the thermostat off the wall, loose from the back part and wiring. Take the batteries out of the thermostat (if applicable) and lets leave it off the wall with no batteries for 20 minutes or so, then put fresh batteries in and remount. Let me know if display still flashes 2.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I took the wires out, made sure there was a good connection, took out the batteries, put in brand new ones (waited 20 minuets for any capacitors to power down), and put the face plate back on carefully, and presto, still blinks (although it blinked 4, but as soon as I set the span, it went back to blinking 2), everything else stayed the same, not blinking

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Chadd, it sounds like you have a defective thermostat. Do you know how old this unit is? Lets try one other thing. On page 4 of this manual:

http://hunter-thermostats.com/booklet/44110.pdf

It talks about pressing a reset key. Let's try that before going any further.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did that long before I talked to you. I will try a new thermostat, but I wonder if it's the wire leading to he unit. That is outside, and there is a tree growing near by, could roots have done this?

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
No, that would not cause a flashing "2" on your thermostat. If you look at the booklet I gave you, is it the flashing "2" for the "span" or is it just the small "2" indicating which program its in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Flashing 2 for "span"

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Yeah, that should not continue to flash once a selection is made. I'd say the thermostat is bad. Just an FYI, Hunter thermostats are low end thermostats. You'd be better off with a Honeywell or White Rodgers.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Chadd, let me know if you have additional questions. Otherwise, Thank you for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (Thanks in advance for any bonus left). Otherwise experts work at their own time and expense. Feel free to post back with any additional questions.