airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I was working with another expert on my Central Air compressor

Customer Question

I was working with another expert on my Central Air compressor issue but I think he may have had to leave. It's a bit of an emergency so I am hoping somebody can help me get this running. The other expert helped me get the new motor wired, but the thermostat was not triggering the AC to turn on, just the blower inside the house.
THe last thing I did was remove the old mercury thermostat and install a new digital one, but it's still only turning the fan on and not activating the central AC outside my house. It's supposed to be VERY hot tonight and tomorrow and any help would be appreciated.
The AC was working until the motor went a few days ago, installed the new motor, but now the thermostat won't turn on the AC itself. If you can stick with me until this is resolved I will absolutely leave a tip. Thanks
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.Do you have a meter for troubleshooting and can you do some hands on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I was using the meter with the previous expert.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
I see this is the same question.I am already working with you. We can work on one or the other,just don't reply to one or the other replies.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tim I am the same guy from the other question, if you want to move the quetion to this thread that is fine
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
That is fine. lets see if we can find where we are losing our 24v to the outdoor unit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just found the problem....In the attick is a big part to the unit. In the bottom is a float, the tray is filled with water but when i press down the float, the AC now turns on. There must be a clog somewhere. How do I unclog it?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
The best way to flush that drain is with an air tank from inside.If you try to flush from outside that will blow back up into the coil and stop back up in a few days. Sometimes if you can get your mouth on it, you can blow it out by mouth. Also you can purchase what is calle da gallo gin at most supply houses, even maybe LOwes. It is a little Co2 cylinder that blows through drain. See below:
http://www.westsidewholesale.com/diversitech-gg-1.html?keyword=Google_Shopping&mr:trackingCode=D8168D17-63A2-E311-AC1D-BC305BF933C0&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=plaonline&mr:ad=56785740325&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=18283950120&gclid=CjwKEAjwndqrBRC16IyeqPicp3ASJAB-vB-cHZu9xY6A08WAUmHuUE_Krg0CJ9IH_2Fy-1MzpY8yvRoCP2Lw_wcB
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will a air compressor work? I'm trying that right now but I can't seem to get it to form an airtight seal
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
An air compressor should do fine. Maybe take a rag to help make a seal on drain pipe.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was able to get a good seal and somebody else was outside and I could feel the air coming through pretty strong. The problem is that the water reservoir that feeds into the PVC that goes outside only connects to the main reservoir that's full of water, that's the one with the float and it's not attached to the drain ...
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Can you send me a photo?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Photo is attached. The blue piece is the float. The pan underneath with the float attached is not connected to the PVC drain, only the pan above that one is attached. How do I get the water out of the bottom pan ,and why is it not attached to the drain?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
file attached
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
OK main drain where the trap is is what we want to make sure is free and clear to begin with.The float switch is attached to an overflow pan which should only get water in it if main drain stops up. It really should also be ran outdoors via a separate drain to a conspicuos location where you would see if and know there was a problem with main drain.
At this point, you can clear that main drain and using a shop vac suck the water out of the overflow pan. Once main drain is clear, we should not get any more water in that overflow pan.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great. I have gotten everything running, I think.. I put the white thermostat wire into the yellow slow, the red into the red, and the green (which I think controls the fan), into the green slot. I think it's working but it will be a little while until I can tell if it's blowing cold air.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
JUst let me know if you need further.