Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

I have a lennox cbx32mv and the compressor won't kick on.

Customer Question

I have a lennox cbx32mv and the compressor won't kick on. Only the air handler is running.
Need some ideas on a fix
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.
Have you checked for blown fuses in the disconnect (the box outside that supplies power to outside unit)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, no blown fuses. I have also checked the circuit on the unit itself.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The unit was installed in 2010
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Are you getting 24 volts at the contactor coil inside the outdoor unit when cooling is called for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No clue. How would I check?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
You'd need a voltmeter. If you have one, I can run you through some instructions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't. Any other quick thoughts about what it could be? It did this once last summer and when I had a guy come out, it worked fine. Seems like some intermittment problem. I got the compressor to come on for 5 minutes or so earlier, but now, nothing.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
What is the thermostat showing? Cooling on? Thermostat set below room temp?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, thermostat is showing 79 degrees, but is set at 74. Air is circulating, but not cool.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
And outside unit is not running? If not turn it off, have someone go outside near the unit, then turn back on and wait 5 minutes or so. You should hear a distinct click at outside unit if thermostat is sending a signal to it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. One sec
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
No need to post back in between.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no click
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Take and turn furnace power off. Take the thermostat off the wall, front part loose from the back and exposing the thermostat wires. Find the red wire on R, yellow or blue wire on Y, and green wire on G and twist the metal ends of these three wires together, then turn power back on. Let me know if unit runs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing. air handler doesn't come on either
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
You sure you turned the air handler power off first? There is a small low voltage fuse on most circuit boards that might have blown.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. All the power is off. Air handler switch and the main fuse at the fuse box.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is the circuit board?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
OK, but after bypassing thermostat in procedure outlined above, I wanted power turned back on to see if everything would run?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I did that. Nothing. Now I have put it all back together and there is nothing at all running. No air handler, no anything.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no power to the thermostat
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
OK, not sure what to tell you. On the air handler, inside the panels is a control circuit board. If you did not power off air handler before changing the thermostat wires around, it's possible you may have blown a small fuse on the board.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. at this point we tried. I'll give someone a call tomorrow to come out.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Yeah, sorry, it was a shot anyways. The fact that you did not hear a click at outside unit when cooling was turned on, led me to believe possible issue with thermostat. But I wonder if that small fuse might have gotten blown. In any case, yes, good luck! Thanks for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (thanks in advance for any bonus left). Feel free to post back with any additional questions.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Did you have additional questions on this?