Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

I just had a new carrier furnace and air conditioner installed.

Customer Question

I just had a new carrier furnace and air conditioner installed. They heat and cool fine but are really loud and hum when running. I read the installation manual and it said system should be attached to duct work with flexible duct connector, metal duct systems that do not have 90 degree and and 10 " to 1st branch may require internal acoustic lining or fibrous glass ductwork and that furnace should be on rubber isolation pads. Mine has none of the flexible duct items and furnace sits on an old cement base for other furnace and actually hangs over it by 6 " on one side. Installer says the sound is ok and humming is just the old duct work and new furnace not being compatible. I think furnace not installed right, installer should have told me about possible issues with old duct work and new furnace/air. I can't run air or furnace without cranking up my tv and actually woke my kids from sleep. Would like your thoughts?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.
Your installer is giving you a load of crap, sorry. The ductwork should have canvas strips that "break" the continuous run of sheet metal between the furnace and the house ductwork. And secondly, almost all "professional" installers I know do use the rubber vibration pads underneath the furnace and it should not be "hanging over" a cement pad. Sounds like you got an extremely poor installation and I would demand this be fixed.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you have additional questions. Otherwise, good luck! Thanks for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (thanks in advance for any bonus left). Otherwise experts work at their own time and expense. Feel free to post back with any additional questions.