airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have a older Goodman heat pump on my roof ModelPHK042-1 The

Customer Question

I have a older Goodman heat pump on my roof ModelPHK042-1 The other day I noticed it was not cooling well, went on the roof an just the blower was running No compressor or condenser fan, had a tech come out and checked it out and said it look ok, shortly after he left with the unit running nonstop the temp on the t stat started to climb (3 deg.) went on the roof after a couple min the cond. fan kicked on but the air off the coils it was pulling never got hot, went in the house and stuck a thermometer in the vent , was reading 80 deg after 10 min it droped to around 55deg 10 min later jumped back to 80 at vent , blower never shuts off, unless I raise the temt at the t stat (Nest)
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.Sounds like the compressor is cutting off for some reason.Do you have a set of gauges to check charge. THe compressor may be cutting off due to either low or high pressures.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have gauges but I have had 2 techs out over the past few weeks one today and thay said the pressures looked good
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a volt meter to see where we may be losing the voltage to compressor?If air is not getting colder in house, compressor is shutting down.WE need to find why. Intermittent issues can be a pain if working when tech gets there and then stops when he leaves. Was either tech their when unit was not cooling?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No they weren't I do have a volt meter when it is not cooling the condenser fan isn't running either
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
That is what makes me thing it may be a pressure issue, Usually on a Goodman heat pump, the low and high pressure switches are wired so that they kill power to the contactor which engages fan and compressor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's what I was leaning towards a possible high or low pressure cut off switch, are those known to go out or is it more likely a pressure issue like a bad compressor or expation valve, my cousin is coming tomorrow with gauges what should my pressures look like
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Pressure switches rarely fail. If cutting off on pressure issues usual causes are outdoor fan quitting,dirty condensor coil,incorrect refrigerant charge or metering device sticking.The gauges will tell us which direction to go.
For example if head and suction were both high, that would reflect an overcharge. If both are low would reflect low charge, If suction goes into vacuum that would reflect restriction such as metering device and if suction normal and head high, low air flow across outdoor coil.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see the switches either work or not , wouldn't cause an intermittent prob . Sounds like till i can put some gauges on it and wait for the problem to happen I am done
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
PLease let me know what you find when connecting the gauges.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do thanks for the help
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings now. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost.