gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Experience:  51 years of experience install design and repair of all makes and models of AC
19613070

We have a carrier 50jz036 one piece heat pump. No air coming

Customer Question

We have a carrier 50jz036 one piece heat pump. No air coming from vents, external unit running and big ice ball near compressor. Indoor blower is not running. Turned power off, wheel on internal blower spins freely when turned by hand. Suspect time delay relay or blower motor starting capacitor - am I on the right path? If so, what are the part numbers for these components? Unable to find a part list / service manual on line
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One other note - the outdoor condenser coils are clean and were not warm to the touch
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 1 year ago.
Russ here. Welcome. I am here to help. Please do not rate until you are satisfied with answer. Always available for follow up questions.First turn air off at thermostat and fan to on position to melt ice off coil. If fan does not run in this position you have bad fan motor,bad capacitor or bad fan relay. You may have a CTM motor. Look at motor and see if you a module on the end or send me a picture.. Russ
Also feel motor to see if it is hot. Russ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, unfortunately I have no internet access or phone service where the unit is located, so it will be this evening before I can respond. I was going to start by checking for 220VAC on the wires going to the fan (no voltage equals time delay relay problem or wiring issue - do you have a P/N for the time delay relay used on this model). If 220VAC present going to fan then the motor or start / run capacitor has failed (do you have a P/N for the capacitor?). How do I get to the motor - I couldn't even see it?
Motor will be on supply side of unit. See if motor is CTM motor. It will have two connections one for 220 and one for l;ow voltage. Russ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Russ:
Started this AM checking the voltage across the motor leads, expected 220VAC found zero volts. Shut unit down, found continuity from the motor's yellow wire back to one side of the 220V input. Found no continuity from the motor's blue wire back to the other side of the 220V input, which is expected, since the time delay relay (TDR) was not energized. Found continuity from the other side of the time delay relay to the other side of the 220V input input. Removed the two screws holding the TDR relay, inspected the relay, removed, inspected and reinstalled several of the plug in wire connections (found no corrosion). Reinstalled the relay and applied power, was surprised when indoor blower started up and we had good air flow from the system. Later on the flow seemed to diminish, was unable to pursue further due to a strong thunder storm starting. Should I replace the TDR relay? In looking at your response they seem a bit general, are you familiar with this model of Carrier heat pump?
Yes your problem is time delay relay. Great work. Part number HN67KJ077. Just google part number and several sites will come up. About 45.00Russ
Anymore questions please get back with me. Russ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Russ: TDR relay ordered, should arrive next week. Will advise once the part arrives.
Thanks for reply. Waiting your response when the part arrives. Russ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
TDR relay arrived yesterday, installed. Unit starts right up, blower is running normally. New question - blower motor has Yellow, red, blu and black leads. In reading the schematic it shows the yellow wire from the motor being tied to one side of the 220VAC input. It shows the red wire on the motor being tied to the other side of the 220VAC input through the TDR relay. There is a note on the schematic that says "connect blu wire for low speed operation" next to the red wire on the face of the drawing, in our unit the motor's blue wire is connected to the TDR, the red and black wires are disconnected. At the bottom of the drawing there is a note that I will paraphrase to read (don't have the manual in front of me) "connect black wire in place of red wire for high speed operation". Where I am heading with this is that the volume of air at the registers in the house seems low, since the house is new to us I don't know if this is normal. As an experiment I tried connecting the red wire in place of the blue wire, to me the blower sounded the same. I then tried connecting the black wire in place of the blue wire, motor still sounds the same. What is this telling us, and do you have a schematic of the motor that you could provide
Yellow is common wire. Red low,Blue medium,black high. Your unit is using medium speed. This is the best speed to use if you are not having cooling problems. Russ