Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

When my Trane XE 800 turns off outside it is making a grinding

Customer Question

When my Trane XE 800 turns off outside it is making a grinding noise. It is noticeable and last about a 1/4 - 1/2 second. The metal ID tag says the unit was built in 02/1990. What do you think it may be? Has about ran its course?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 1 year ago.
Russ here. Welcome. I am here to help. Please do not rate until you are satisfied with answer. Always available for follow up questions. 25 years about time to change unit. If it is making grinding noise sounds like compressor. That is 8 seer the lowest that can be sold now is 14 seer. You would save enough money to pay for a new unit. If the unit is making a humming noise when trying to start chances are it is just a capacitor. Grinding noise is something worse. Russ