Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

We have a White Rodgers thermostat that we think may just need

Customer Question

We have a White Rodgers thermostat that we think may just need to be reset - AC unit is not starting, and we had a bad thunderstorm on Friday with lightning. Before calling a tech, wondered if there was a way to reset the thermostat to see if problem is there - nothing else seems to be wrong.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 1 year ago.
Russ here. Welcome. I am here to help. Please do not rate until you are satisfied with answer. Always available for follow up questions
Does fan run in on position. Heat pump or gas heat.
Hold up and down button at same time and move selector switch from heat to off several times and this will reset thermostat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That did reset the thermostat, but the AC unit did not kick on. I guess it's time to call the HVAC company. Thanks for the info, though - it was worth a try!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fan does not run in either position. Not sure what kind of AC it is - new house, and previous owners left no info on the system...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh...sorry -- gas heat...
If you want yo open door on furnace and check the fuse on furnace board. It isa a 3 or 5 amp auto type. You can look thru hole in door and see if you have a red light flashing. Russ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We actually have a boiler - the heat is radiant heat through the pipes in the slab floor. Is that suggestion relevant here?
Do you have a voltmeter. Russ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know if my husband has one or not. I think at this point we are going to need to just get an HVAC service person over to the new place. Thanks for all your help, though.
You are welcome. Russ