Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I have a International Comfort A/C..Heater...Model #t8mp0508b12a1

Customer Question

I have a International Comfort A/C..Heater...Model #t8mp0508b12a1 installed in 2004. My unit is an 80+ based on the manual diagram. My unit is leaking water in the top left panel side where the panel screws are. I have tightened the screws with no luck. I have been told that my problem is the evaporator coil is freezing up and the drain pan is plugged up. I have cleaned the condensation drain. My unit leaks only when running. My A/C is cooling great and recycling normally. I do not see an evaporator coil/pan in the manual diagram.
Can you help me?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
What did you do to clean the condensate drain?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a line coming from the unit...upper right top with a Tee fitting. I poured drain-0 into this line.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all the drain-o went directly into the line and did not back up
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Ok, that apparently isn't adequate to solve this problem. What we do is cut the line close where it comes out of the coil box leaving at least 1" of pipe on either side of the cut so a coupling can be installed there once we're done. Then we suck out both sides of the cut line with a wet vac. You should block up the vent opening so the suction will work on the out line but the clog is usually in the coil side
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Once we're done with the vac we install a coupling to put the line back together
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why would this be leaking from the side panel top screws
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I put silicone on one screw the leak goes to the next screw
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Depending on the type of coil box the water could leak just about anywhere. Silicone isn't going to help. You need to suck the slime out of the coil drain so the condensate will drain off. Draino is not a solution
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So my problem is not my evaporator coil freezing up and the sweating water
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello rick
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Evaporator coils always "sweat". It's not really sweating it's condensation and that's why you have a condensate drain. The first thing to do is to properly clean the drain as I described above. It is possible the coil is freezing (not likely but it does happen) but if it is that a job for a pro while cleaning the drain is a pretty easy DIY project.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome