Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

My furnace won't stay on.

Customer Question

My furnace won't stay on.
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just had fuel delivered so I'm full up. My downstairs (where the furnace is located) smells like fuel now.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue.
If you ran out of oil you do need to purge the air from the oil line. To do this you need a 3/8" (typically) open end wrench, a small container to catch the oil and a small piece of 1/4" od rubber tubing (the tubing isn't vital it just makes it a little easier). Locate the bleed fitting on the oil pump (on the left side of the oil burner where the oil line connects) it has a hex with a small hose barb protruding. Position your container directly below it. Loosen the hex. You will get a little oil and maybe a few bubbles. Now hit the reset button on the burner control and let it run until its a steady stream of oil (no bubbles). Tighten the hex back up and you're done. The burner should fire up once you close off the bleeder. You may need to hit the reset more than once. If your ignition control (the device with the reset button on the burner) is a R7184 then the control will go into a hard lockout if you push the reset more than twice. You need to hold the button down for at least 30 seconds to release the lockout.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no clue what you just said.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know what a bleed fitting is or where the oil pump is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't run out of oil. The tank was mostly full. I called to have it filled to see where I was at.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
When was the last time your burner was tuned up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
November ish
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Well since you don't seem to be at all familiar with the burner you're going to have to call a pro. Your burner isn't firing so don't hit the reset button again. You'll only pump more oil into the chamber (assuming oil is getting to the burner) which creates a potentially dangerous condition once the burner actually does fire up. I could give you some troubleshooting tips but you need some familiarity with the burner to attempt any of it safely.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's what I was thinking too. Thank you for trying.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome