Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Yes Sir, Just changed my blower motor anf I took photos of

Customer Question

Yes Sir, Just changed my blower motor anf I took photos of the wirings before I took them out. Now, the new motor has a blue colored wire and I dont know where to connect? Your help is highly appreciated. Thanks, Lorenz
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue.
What is the brand and model of your furnace?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its GE brand
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2001 model
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
I have no specs on GE furnaces. I'm going to open this backup to my colleagues so one of them can help. Please don't respond (even to acknowledge this post)until you get a response from us. If you respond first it will only delay your answer.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the inform
Did your old motor have 3 colored leads and your new one has 4 colored leads?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
needs to know where to connect the blue wire bcuz in the old motor there was no blue colored wire but purple colored wire. Do i follow with the old connection wherrin purple wire was connected to a black wire? Thnx
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Tell me which leads and colors were on the old motor and where they were connected and the same for new motor. Where was each lead connected?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
dont know the name what I did was I took. pics before disconnecting them hoping to follow the same connection base on the color of the wire
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
If the new motor has one extra colored lead, it will probably be an "unused motor lead" and can be taped on the end and not used.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did that on red wire but im the old motor there was a purple wire/lead and in the new one its blue, thnx
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
OK, this doesn't help me much, sorry. If the leads connect to a board and you already have a lead on the heat terminal and one on cool, then the blue is probably an extra "unused motor lead" and the end can be taped.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok is it ok if i connect the blue lead from the motor to a black lead?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the black lead i refer to comes from bunch of leads that connects to the board
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry, I just can't help you given the vague information you have given me. Wiring a motor is something that needs to be done with certain knowledge and although we try to help do-it-yourselfers here as much as possible, I don't want to say that "yes, it's OK to connect these two wires together without much more information.
I will opt out and see if another expert can help. Please wait until another expert picks this up. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thnx Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Really dont know about AC just saw on youtube how to remove blower motor. And before I disconnected the wires/leads I took photo/pics to guide me as I reconnect all the leads.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.Can you upload the photo of old wiring and new motor here?If you have a paper clip icon on your page you can attach using that link.Or
You can upload the pictures using the tiny pic site .
Here is a link to the site.
http://tinypic.com/
Click on Browse , select the file from your folder.then click UPLOAD NOW.
They will give you a quote to enter in the box to verify you are a human.Enter the quote and click UPLOAD NOW
You will see your picture on right side of screen.
Then copy the link URL for email & IM
Paste that link here on the site.