airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

Can I send you some pictures of my upstairs unit to

Customer Question

Can I send you some pictures of my upstairs unit for you to look at please
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.What is the issue you are having with the ac?
If you have a paper clip icon on your page you can attach using that link.Or
You can upload the pictures using the tiny pic site .
Here is a link to the site.
http://tinypic.com/
Click on Browse , select the file from your folder.then click UPLOAD NOW.
They will give you a quote to enter in the box to verify you are a human.Enter the quote and click UPLOAD NOW
You will see your picture on right side of screen.
Then copy the link URL for email & IM
Paste that link here on the site.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not cooling
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unit froze at the end of last summer. Turned it off until yesterday. No it is not cooling Is not freezing either.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Got the pictures. The coil is pretty rusty huh?
Give me some details
1. Is thermostat got a display if digital?
2.Will indoor unit come on?
3.Will outdoor unit come on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thermostat is not digital.Pretty sure the outdoor unit came on.Don't know if the indoor unit came on my wife turned it on and it just didn't cool but it did blow air.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
If unit iced at end of summer,that was most likley due to low refrigerant.Since it is no longer icing that indicates it has leaked even more refrigerant to the point it can not even make the ice.
What happens is with refrigerant charge correct, we run about a 69 psig coil which calculates to about a 40 degree coil. As refrigerant leaks pressures drop as does temp of the coil. When we get down to about 58 psig that equates to a 32 degree coil which starts icing. Then as refrigerant continues to leak and pressure gets down to about 30 psig, it no longer has capability of even producing ice.
From looking at the coil you sent pictures of I am suspecting the coil is leaking refrigerant and system is too low on refrigerant to cool.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so we need a new coil? my real concern is to determine what work actually needs to be done (probably) and a likely range of costs (in your opinion) so a don't get ripped off. Like what needs to be replaced and how labor time and how much for the parts.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
I am suspecting the coil will need to be replaced.Below are a few choices you may have
1. Minimum just to recharge system 200 to 300
2. Replace coil and recharge system 800 to 1000
3.Replace coil and outdoor unit with new R410 refrigerant 2500 to 3000
4.Replace entire system Anywhere from 4500 up depending on how high efficient you want.
This old system is probably 10 SEER or less (Efficiency rating). New systems start at 14 SEER and go all the way to about 21 SEER.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am hoping 2.how would we tell if the outside unit needed to be replaced, please.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
The reason I mention replacing outdoor unit is the old system is most likely an R22 system. Since R22 is being phased out the costs have skyrocketd.If there is a leak it is expensive to keep purchasing the R22 to refill. The new R410 is less expensive and you could get a matched coil and outdoor unit.Also we need to make sure outdoor is not leaking also as it is probably same age as coil.