Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30+ years.
67988511

I have a 90340 relay that connects to a B1141643 transformer

Customer Question

I have a 90340 relay that connects to a B1141643 transformer on my Goodman airhandler.
I have already fried one relay by not hooking it up right.
The unit had flood damage and the transformer and relay were not salvageable.
I have a schematic for it but cannot get it right.
The unit is AR18-1 goodman.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Brian and I'm here to help!
I'll be happy to help you with that. Can you take pics of the air handler including your wiring with the relay and transformer please. If the wiring diagram on the unit is still legible that would be helpful too. You can upload them here using either the paperclip icon or the +ADD FILES button in your reply dialog box.
Let me know if the unit has heat strips installed as well please.
Thanks, -Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are pics of the relay and transformer.
There are two heat strips
Thank you for those pictures. If you had a 90-340 relay before and are replacing it with a 90-340 relay that's fine and will work fine. As you can see by the diagram the unit originally had a blower time delay setup so I'm guessing it was changed to just a fan relay which is what the 90-340 relay would be doing. Because some of the wire colors are the same where they wire to the transformer and relay I can't really tell if which wires go where. Since the wiring was changed from the original wiring to what you had (have now) it's hard to tell from your pics what wires to tell you to put where. If you can upload a few more pics trying to show where the wires connected to the relay and transformer go that would be really helpful. At first glance it looks close but there is obviously still a problem. The green and blue wires look ok on the 90-340 but that's all I can really tell for sure from your pics.
Thanks, -Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will take pics and srnd tomorrow.
Maybe we could put it back to the original wiring
I'm good with that. I'll be around tomorrow. The 90-340 is a fine way to go it's just different than the original blower time delay setup. Goodman had a lot of those fail. The newer ones are better if you want to go that route. Either way is fine. I just have to determine which wires are what so I can tell you the right place to land them. It's tough in your particular unit because of the wire insulation color and size I can't tell the difference between the high and low voltage wires. That's why I need to see where the other ends of them are. So, tomorrow's another day and we'll figure it out then. Have a good night and I'll look for your next post tomorrow.
Thanks, -Brian
I've looked really carefully at those pics and it would appear things are wired ok but then again I can't tell for sure for the same reasons I stated above.
Below are links to a couple of pdf's that I made to show you how the relay and transformer should be wired. If you have any questions or something in the guides don't look quite right to you when compared to your air handler, please let me know!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vprxrovv57bp03b/Goodman%20AHU%2090-340%20Relay%20Wiring%20Guide.pdf?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hkg6n73xg3v8sdv/Goodman%20AHU%20Transformer%20Wiring%20Guide.pdf?dl=0
Thanks, -Brian
Good afternoon! I'm following up to see how your air handler problem is going. Did the images I sent help? Were you able to wire it up and get it running? Let me know if I can help further.
Thanks, -Brian