Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My heatpump compressor does not stay running. The fan starts and runs, the compressor star

Customer Question

My heatpump compressor does not stay running. The fan starts and runs, the compressor starts and 5 seconds later it shuts off.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 1 year ago.
Russ here. Welcome. I am here to help. Please do not rate until you are satisfied with answer. Always available for follow up questions.
Have you checked charge on system. Russ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My charge was checked a few months prior and was said to be ok. Would the system have a pressure switch? I did not see anything to be a pressure switch external to the compressor. Is it possibly internal?
It may have a low pressure control and that tis why it is cycling. Need to have charge checked. If it was checked 2 to 3 months ago it may not have been hot enough to check accurately or it may have developed a leak. Russ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I noticed the potential relay energizes upon activation of the heat pump. After 5 seconds or so, the relay de-energizes and the compressor shuts off. About 5 minutes later, the relay energizes again and the compressor turns on. I also metered my capacitors, they are both good. I metered my compressor connections and between C and S I have 2.4ohms, between C and R I have 1.7ohms and between S and R I have 3.3ohms.
Readings on compressor are good. Does sound like it is cycling on low pressure. You will need to put gages on system to see what pressure is doing. Really only guessing till I know what the pressures are doing. Russ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a friend nearby whom can check my pressure. What should the pressure be. 300 or so?
Running pressure on R 22 about 70 and 250 .. Russ