airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have the Signature P374-1800 model thermostat. Last

Customer Question

hello, i have the Signature P374-1800 model thermostat. Last night the AC was not cooling down the unit, so I went to the electric power box and shut the power off for a minute and turned it back on. The problem is that the thermostat won't turn back on. The screen is blank. Can someone please help?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.Do you have a multi meter so we can see if we are getting 24 volts to R and C terminals at thermostat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, multi meter>
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Multi meter?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Test meter. If you don't have one you can get one at Walmart for about 15 bucks. Then.Lets set to lowest setting above 24vac and put one lead on R and one lead on C and verify 24 volts.See link below:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/21192956?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227016785065&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40872388832&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78764893352&veh=sem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is power going to every light, appliance, electrical outlet. I highly doubt that the problem is stemming from lack of electrical power from the electrical source.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
The first step in troubleshooting your thermostat is to see if the indoor unit is providing 24 volts to the thermostat.
Lights,appliances,electrical outlets and such have nothing to do with this.
You can even have power going to the furnace, but if transformer is bad, a small auto type fuse on furnace control board or a bad connection between furnace and thermostat could be preventing the thermostat from getting power.PLease let me know if you wish to troubleshoot.