Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My high pressure boiler keeps losing steam! HELP

Customer Question

my high pressure boiler keeps losing steam! HELP
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Welcome!
http://www.columbiaboiler.com/industrial/CT/documents/CTManualnew708.pdf
copy/ paste that into your browser please and tell me if it is for your boiler or not, and what pressure you are running, what fuel you are using and if the burner is off when the steam pressure drops.
Tell me as much as you can about the application.
We can go from there.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Columbia 150 hp no gas burner on runs in gas low pressure 40 high pressure 80
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it is that link
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
If we are lucky there is a wiring diagram glued inside the cover of this box... or you have the original manual for the boiler, there will be a diagram in that... the mfgr does not include it in their manual.
Attach it here if you find it please.
So far I suspect the boiler is going off on one of its safety controls such high temperature or low water.. or that the pressure control switch is going bad, or the connection point clogged with water scale.
Tell me as much about the water treatment it is getting, how often you blow it down, how often pressure relief valve is exercised.
These can be quite dangerous if not seen by a licensed boiler man at least every 30 days.
We can go from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Low water is the problem I already diagnosed thay
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Good work, be aware that this is a dangerous situation, most states require a licensed boiler man to work on these.
If you were to accidentally bypass the low water cut of, and *** if the pressure relief valve were blocked with water scale, the boiler could blow up, break that gas line, and take out a city block or two***.
Tell me how long it takes for the sight glass to fill with water so that the boiler then comes back on.... then test the pressure relief valve my lifting its manual release lever to insure that it does indeed blow off steam when manually operated.
----------
If it is running low on water repeatedly it has a steam leak, I need to know how long this has been going on. Bad steam traps or condensate return pumping systems can also cause this problem.
I need you to describe the use of the steam, radiators or heat exchangers, and condensate return provisions.
And keep this in mind... *** if the pressure relief valve were blocked with water scale, the boiler could blow up, break that gas line, and take out a city block or two***
Your building owners liability insurance might not cover such damage, it would be a nightmare for all concerned.. especially for those people and family members killed in the blast.
.