Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Mark, My AC ducks aren't kicking out air even though the

Customer Question

Hi Mark, My AC ducks aren't kicking out air even though the compressor outside in running.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! .

Tell me please if the largest tube connected to the outside unit has frost on it or not...it is the insulated tube, you may have to peel the insulation back a bit to see it.

.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is frost

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. that means the inside coil has an inch or so of ice blocking the air flow,

That happens if you set it below 70F on a cool night, or if the air filter is dirty, or if it is an old system with a dirty coil and blower wheel.

For now, turn the cooling OFF and set the fan switch to ON... the coil will defrost in 4 or 5 hours... start it up again , then measure the cold air temperature coming out of the air ducts, it should be 15 to 20F cooler than room temperature, and feel the suction line after half an hour and tell me if it is cool or not.

Let me know what you discover. We can go from there.
--------------

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge.

.