Natech
Natech, HVAC/Boiler Tech
Experience:  I am a HVAC Tech and Radiant Heat Expert.
76430685

My thermostat is not reading correct. It is 77 but the stat

Customer Question

My thermostat is not reading correct. It is 77 but the stat reads 55. Is this service free?
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What I am really hoping....is there a way to reboot the thermostat? It is 5 years old. The stat cost $300. Perhaps that will reset factory settings and it might read correctly?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
And now it just jumped down 10 degrees now reading 46.
Expert:  Natech replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name Is***** am a HVAC Technician, I will be happy to assist you today! This service works on the honor system. We are not compensated for our time and help unless you rate completely satisfied with our answer. This system ensures that we give you the best information we can. There is a temp adjustment/calibration (As seen here "http://tinymicros.com/mediawiki/images/d/d2/White-Rodgers_1F95-1277_Users_Manual.pdf" on page 11) however, it is only to adjust 4 degrees. I am afraid that if your thermostat has that much of a swing, it most likely needs to be replaced. The resistor that measures the temp is most likely run its course. You could try cleaning the electronics of the thermostat with a can of compressed air, sometimes in some environments the resistors build up with dust etc and do not reflect accurate temps, however, instant swings of 10 degrees indicate that it is faulty. Please let me know if I can assist you further. If you are satisfied with the service, please remember to rate. If you cannot rate excellent, let me further assist you until you are satisfied.