Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30+ years.
67988511

I just had a 3 tons Rheem air conditioner installed in my house

Customer Question

I just had a 3 tons Rheem air conditioner installed in my house last week good service from the com. but asked them about the filter they showed me a filter that looks like a fish net before I had a Trane ac I was using filter from Filtrete at about $16.00 each (I have 4 cats) now I am contacting the ac peoples and they are trying to sell me sponge filters at a price of $129.00 is their a way to have a good quality filter the dimension which was given to me from the installer is 19x21x1 I went to Lowes and Home Depot just saw a filter at $2.47 that size is there a way to contact Rheem co. and get their help about filters?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm Brian and I'm here to help! I can understand your plight completely!
It's great that you're concerned about protecting your new system with a quality filter. It's the single simplest way to insure greater life and efficiency of your system. There are always many, many options for filtration. The Filtrete filters were a great choice. Unfortunately they don't appear to come in custom sizes.
There are a couple of ways to handle this. You can ask your contractor to install an additional filter rack in a more standard size into your return air duct. You could also have them install return air grills that accept filters, making sure to size them in an off the shelf filter size.
There are also many custom filter manufacturers that can make your custom size filter in different efficiency ratings. This may be your easiest approach. Below is a link to one of many companies that do just that:
http://www.airfiltersdelivered.com/custom-air-filter/
There are many, many more options available too. Electronic air cleaners installed at your return intake to the unit, Electrostatic air cleaners made to size, are among just a couple of the common choices.
I'm afraid Rheem won't be much help in the filter area. They will undoubtedly refer you to their local dealer which may even turn out to be your current ac contractor.
Please let me know if I can answer anything else about your filter concerns.