Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a baxi luna boiler about 15 years old, serial number

Customer Question

Hi, I have a baxi luna boiler about 15 years old, serial number B11940073. It is malfunctioning and the local contractor, not a baxi dealer, went through the troubleshooting menu and then contacted Baxiaxi , and was told that the needed part, the modulating coil, is no longer made for my model. I would like to verify this before replacing the boiler.
Thanks, Hilary
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will try and sort your problem in the shortest possible time.
Do you have any further details on the boiler?
Luna HT?
I am sure that if the modulating coil is no longer available then they would give you a different gas valve to fit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the manual. I gave you serial number. We have already troubleshooted. The problem is the modulating coil. My question is whether Baxi still makes that part for m y model.
Ok, do you have the BAxi part number and I will search for you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is the modulating coil that helps control gas inflow into the boiler. I do not have apart number. I have been told Baxi no longer makes it. I am unable to reach Baxi because I'm not a contractor, just a homeowner. If you could find a way for me to speak with Baxi (I have emailed them but no answer), that would be helpful. I just want to verify that I have to buy a new boiler.
Here is a copy of the email describing the results of the troubleshooting by my local company.
"I spoke with Glenn, we went over the issues. The boiler is not modulating the gas valve to allow for proper ignition and rate of fire. The regulator was changed by Glenn out on the propane tanks. The modulation issue is a boiler control issue and I am being told we cannot get a new boiler control for that model. The problem is the boiler is telling the gas valve to open all the way when it starts and causing hard ignition and the boiler to overheat and shut down of safety limit. The control programing is not something we can repair. "