Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30+ years.
67988511

I have a 1 year old 13 seer, suddenly today, after

Customer Question

I have a 1 year old 13 seer, suddenly today, after working fine for an hour, when it did restart the air was warm.
Any idea ?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Brian and I'm here to help!
The most likely reason for this is your compressor is getting hot and its thermal motor safety protection has tripped. The most common causes for this are 1) Your compressor run capacitor is weak or has failed. 2) Your system is slightly low on refrigerant. The compressor is cooled by refrigerant and when you are a bit low there is not enough refrigerant to cool the compressor even though it may still cool your home.
There are more drastic reasons this happens, but those are the most common if this is the first time this has happened. Your compressor may reset and operate if you turn you system off for a couple of hours and try to restart it. If it restarts it points more toward the refrigerant issue, if it doesn't restart it points more toward the capacitor issue.