gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Experience:  51 years of experience install design and repair of all makes and models of AC
19613070

Our AC won't come on. The fan blows but the outside unit doesn't

Customer Question

Our AC won't come on. The fan blows but the outside unit doesn't turn on.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 2 years ago.
Russ here. Welcome. I am here to help. Please do not rate until you are satisfied with answer. Always available for follow up questions If you have a drain switch in drain line check to see if it is stopped up. If it is clear go to outside unit and feel fan on top of unit to see if fan motor is hot. Russ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The outside unit is not hot and I was able to drain about 1-2 cups of water out. I waited a few minutes to see if the unit would come back on.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It did not come back on
The unit usually has a five minute delay. If it does not come on in cooling. Open access panel to unit and see if the contractor (large black relay) is pulled in in middle. If not press middle with screwdriver and see if it runs. Russ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
we removed the panel and there as no large black relay. We have decided to replace the two 30 amp fuses attached to the house to see if that is the problem. But it appears that we will need to call for a repairman tomorrow. Thanks for your help unless you have any other ideas..
If you have a volt meter you can check fuses. Or check voltage at unit. Should have 220 volts. Russ