Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a very old Trane XE800 heat pump, has been a wonderful

Customer Question

I have a very old Trane XE800 heat pump, has been a wonderful unit, 3 ton heat pump. In 26 years I have only replaced the air handler fan motor, the condenser fan motor, and a contactor in the outside unit. Clean the coils, change filters, runs great. Until yesterday, I think the compressor gave up finally. Is it worth just changing out the compressor, evacuating and recharging the unit? I am thinking of selling the house soon. I haven't pursued troubleshooting the failed compressor, could be a start capacitor, but I doubt I will be that lucky. Your thoughts?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! We keep going until you have all of the information you need.[b/]. Extensive training & coaching also available.
First we should check out the compressor.
Take an up close, well focused and well lit photo of the units wiring diagram glued to the inside of one of its service panels, and attach it here using the 'attach files' link at the bottom left of your reply box.
Include a photo of the units electrical controls box that shows all of the contents.
You will need a $30 type multi meter at the least and a clamp around type amp meter possibly. $50 will buy you a combination of the two at most big box home fix up stores... The more money you spend the longer it will last and the more functions it will have on it.
Harbor freight has one for $25, that will work.
http://screencast.com/t/Xg1rmAeVa
thats what you will need to start, I will attach an 'additional services' offer for a complete diagnosis, it will take us about an hour.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a previous engagement shortly, can I resume this tomorrow? I have a clamp on ammeter and aDVM already.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
You can continue tomorrow, I will be in all day.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Phil. I'll try to be ready for tomorrow.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, it will be a good idea to accept the additional services offer, lacking that I will be working for less than a cup of Starbucks coffee, depending on whats wrong with the unit and what your skill sets are.
A good diagnosis without refrigeration service gages and coach requirements is quite a project.
.