Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a nordyne heat pump that does not defrost properly.

Customer Question

I have a nordyne heat pump that does not defrost properly. Many times it goes into defrost for a few minutes then the demand in the house is met and the unit shuts off. When the unit comes back on the defrost cyles contunues for a fews minutes more then goes into heating mode. The result is the unit does not defrost completely and through the night the ice on the unit builds up significantly.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 2 years ago.
Welcome! We keep going until you have all of the information you need.[b/]. Extensive training & coaching also available.
The problem there is either a bad defrost control module or failed sensors clamped to the outside coil that have failed.
If you can attach a well focused, well lit, close up photo of the wiring diagram glued to the inside cover of the electrical controls box inside the unit I can coach you on how to diagnose the problem.
You will need a multi meter and some associated skills.
Use the 'attach files' link at the bottom left of your reply box to attach the photo, it needs to be taken from straight on.
.We can go from there.
.