gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Experience:  51 years of experience install design and repair of all makes and models of AC
19613070

My air handler seems to run pretty loud and makes a whirring sound - i

Customer Question

My air handler seems to run pretty loud and makes a whirring sound - is this normal, or is it time to replace?
In addition, when the unit starts running, the outside makes a loud sound like something is stuck in the fan, it goes away in about 5 seconds, but nothing is stuck in the fan.
The only other odd thing I notice is we live in a townhome, three stories, and on the first floor where the electrical panel is located, I can hear a noise when the A/C unit is running and very small amount of cool air seems to be coming from around the panel.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 1 year ago.
Russ here. Welcome. I am here to help. Please do not rate until you are satisfied with answer. Always available for follow up questions.Sounds like motor is getting hard to start on both inside and outside units. If you have cool air coming from around your panel you need to have ducts checked . Most any service company an do a duct pressure test. Depending on age go units if more than 10 years old I would suggest replacing. Simply for the fact that with new 14 seer system you would save at least 35% on electric bill and local electric companies sometimes have rebates to help pay for system. Russ
If anymore questions be glad to answer. Russ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the info Russ. I will ask about the duct pressure test. This is quite odd for me you see, as there are no ducts near the electrical panel. And the sound coming from the area sounds like there is something moving, could be air or water, strangely enough it sounds pulsing. Any idea of what a pressure test costs or is it more determined on the geographical area?

The service tech can start with a static pressure check simply by inserting a mono enter probe . The pressure test can use a smoke from a tube to find leaks. Cost is about 150.00. That is what I charge. Take about 1 hour. Russ